In this excursion you will visit the Prado National Museum, a building designed by the architect Juan de Villanueva and home to invaluable royal collections and emblematic treasures. During the guided tour with preferential access you will have the opportunity to contemplate works such as El Jardín de las Delícias, El Caballero de la Mano en el Pecho, Las Meninas or Carlos IV's family
The building that today houses the Prado national museum was designed by architect Juan de Villanueva in 1785. It was constructed to house the Natural History Cabinet, by orders of King Charles III.
However, the building's final purpose - as the new Royal Museum of Paintings and Sculptures - was the decision of the monarch's grandson, King Ferdinand VII, encouraged by his wife Queen Maria Isabel de Braganza. The Prado national museum, opened to the public for the first time in November 1819.
The Museum's first catalogue, published in 1819, included 311 paintings, although at that time its collection comprised just over 1,510 pictures from the various Reales Sitios (Royal Residences). The exceptionally important royal collection, which represents the foundation of the Museum's compilation as we know it today, increased significantly in the 16th century during the time of Charles V and continued to thrive under the succeeding Habsburg and Bourbon Monarchs.
It is thanks to them that we can contemplate in the Museum masterpieces such as The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch, The Nobleman with his hand on his Chest by El Greco, Las Meninas by Velázquez and The Family of Carlos IV by Goya.
The visit will take place in chronological order;
- Starting with the exhibit hall where we will find J. Bosch’ masterpieces (El Bosco) (1450-1516): The Table of the 7 Deadly Sins, The Hay Wain, The temptations of San Antonio, The Stone of Madness and The Garden of Delights.
- We will then move on to the rooms dedicated to El Greco (1540-1614): The gentleman's hand on his chest, The Trinity, Christ embraced the cross and The Annunciation;
- Velázquez (1599-1660): The Worship, Drunkards, Equestrian Portraits, the Forge of Vulcan, The Christ, The spinners, Spears and Las Meninas.
- We will end with Goya (1746-1828): The family of Carlos IV Pictures, The Shootings of May 2, Pestles and Black Paintings.
* This tour starts from Madrid City Tour Bus Information point at Calle Felipe IV, next of the Prado Museum.
* You can present either an electronic voucher or a printed voucher.
* Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour begins.
* Failure to show up at the established check-in time may entail losing the tour.
* Julià Travel Gray Line Spain contact: 0034 91 559 9605 / [email protected]
* Cancellation policy: a 100% cancellation penalty applies if cancelled 24 hours or less prior to travel date or in case of no-show
Go for a walk in the magnificent Park Güell and contemplate nature and...From 25.00
Let yourself be enchanted by the spirituality of Montserrat, the magic...From 55.00